What a product! This non-toxic slug and snail bait doubles as a fertilizer. The active ingredient in this product is organic iron phosphate, a compound that breaks down into fertilizer, so uneaten pellets nourish your plants. This non-toxic slug and snail bait is safe to use around pets, wildlife and even in vegetable gardens. Scatter about 1 teaspoon per square yard in the evening where slugs and snails feed, and once they eat a pellet they die within 3 to 6 days. Uneaten bait remains active for up to 2 weeks.